Breast reconstruction is achieved through several plastic surgery techniques that attempt to restore a breast to near normal shape, appearance and size following mastectomy.Although breast reconstruction can rebuild your breast, the results are highly variable:
- A reconstructed breast will not have the same sensation and feel as the breast it replaces
- Visible incision lines will always be present on the breast, whether from reconstruction or mastectomy
- Certain surgical techniques will leave incision lines at the donor site, commonly located in less exposed areas of the body such as the back, abdomen or buttocks
A note about symmetry: If only one breast is affected, it alone may be reconstructed. In addition, a breast lift, breast reduction or breast augmentation may be recommended for the opposite breast to improve symmetry of the size and position of both breasts.
Dr. OBT performs Lattismus Dorsi, or TRAM flap and other advanced techniques, whereby skin flaps can be rotated from either the back or the stomach. Implant or fat transfer can be performed later, to restore the confidence of having natural appearing breasts again.
- Operating time: 3-4 hours
- Anesthesia: General Anesthesia
- Overnight stay at clinic: Advised
- Recovery time: 7-10 days